We're using the 2nd grade plans. This is our third year with the complete grade packages and I really only glance at the plans during the week.
At the beginning of each year, I type out the recitation and memory verses broken down by week so I can just copy and paste them onto our master recitation page. We've been using the plans since K, so we have a long list of recitation. I keep anything new bolded until Sean can say it easily. We *do not* go through it all in one day. Monday we go over Christians studies: MP memory work and verses plus catechism. Tuesday: Language arts memory, Wednesday: Math, Thursday::science, geography and social studies. Most days we also cover any bold (not mastered) memory work from all subjects. Sean loves it when I switch from bold print to regular so that is added motivation while reminding me what we still need to be working on. At this point it does take awhile, but I don't make my 7 yr old fidget stay still, he does somersaults and hangs upside down from the couch, or just rolls around on the floor and kicks his brothers. ahem
We are out of sync with Latin, but we have plenty of time to finish before he end of the school year. Monday we introduce the new vocabulary, practical Latin, and new prayer line with the CD. I did not purchase the DVD lessons because I have already taught through First Form and I am comfortable with the lower levels. On Tuesday we have a grammar lesson and review the vocab. On Wednesday and Thursday Sean does the worksheets and Friday we drill with flashcards. We have morning and bedtime prayers so we do a lot of them in Latin as he learns them, making sure that the little ones are still hearing the prayer in English regularly.
I bought Rod and Staff 3rd grade spelling so we don't follow the plan for spelling or for phonics, just move onto the next page or lesson. We also use math at our own pace. Sean is using Dreambox in addition to Rod and Staff. We also do Singapore's Challenging Word Problems together on the chalkboards.
We do stay on pace with literature, but we did a lot of it orally at the beginning of the year and he has been writing more and more as the year has progressed.
We break the copywork up a bit differently. He picks a page in his cursive workbook when I tell him to do one, which is a few times a week (when I remember...) He writes in his cursive copybook a line or two a day, finishing by Thursday so he can do his Latin copywork on Friday.
At the beginning of the year, I went through the read aloud list, dug out what we already owned, made a list of what the library has available, and purchased a few more books that I wanted to own. We don't read them on schedule, they are just available on the shelf. We have been using the My Book House series as our morning read aloud and at night we usually have a chapter book going (right now, the second Harry Potter book).
On a good week, we have tea together on Tuesday and go over the art and poetry. Music we are doing on our own in our typical laid back style. Usually Classical Kids at bedtime and a Venezia book.
I'm not using MP's science and social studies. I just grab books from the library on whatever I think will interest him. This will be a little more organized next year with the third grade plans.
I think that's about it. I'm probably forgetting something and this is likely incoherent because I am typing with chaos erupting around me. It's feeding time at the zoo.
No comments:
Post a Comment