Monday, January 27, 2014

Content subjects, where we're at

I mentioned in my last post that we are not using a science or social studies curriculum right now and I wanted to give an example of what we do instead. 

Jim was watching tv tonight and an ad for the movie, Pompeii, came on. Sean asked some questions, we talked a bit, I checked the library and then ordered a book. While the kids were getting ready for bed, they watched an episode of Little Einsteins. It was about China and next thing you know, we're on Google maps, looking at pictures of the Great Wall. Now Sean is off to bed with a book on the Great Wall and another about Imperial China.


Science is often explored in a similar fashion. Something read in a book, something seen on a walk, you never know where it will lead. I focus on giving the boys solid skills in math, reading, and writing so that they can explore their interests. Because that is what they will soak up. That is what they will remember.


I stressed so much about science with James and we ended up curriculum hopping and never really found anything that I felt was giving him a solid base. When he hit high school and started taking high school classes online, I was worried that he would have a hard time. He flew through physical science last year and while he is finding biology to be his hardest class this year, he is carrying a solid A in the honors level class. 


I do plan on a slightly more focused science program through upper elementary with the younger boys, but I think that the most important skill set for them to have for upper level classes are more general: strong reading, math, and research skills. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For anyone who reads this, my wife is the most amazing woman I know. There isn't a day that goes by where I'm not in awe of what she does on a daily basis. I just need to show it more. I love you Robyn and all that you do for us. Thank you.