Friday, June 5, 2015

In the garden, June 5




I got the tomatoes out to the garden today. Leo ate one of the plants so I decided it was time for them to get out of the dining room and behind a fence. I still have pepper plants that need to go in and potatoes that need planted. I hope to have it all in the ground by the end of the weekend. 

I have a lot of weeding ahead and the blueberry bushes will need to be covered soon. We did not get many blueberries last year, and this year I have not seen many flowers on the bushes so I am not very optimistic that we will get more. I have no idea why they do not produce well. 

I planted pole beans and sunflowers around the sandbox canopy. I am hoping they are not dug up by the dog. He has made a mess of my flower beds. 

The chicks got evicted a bit earlier than I planned. They kept escaping their brooder/tub and making quite the mess. I was just going to put them in the (unfinished) coop for the day and bring them in that night, but once they were out there I just couldn't stand the thought of bringing them back in. I set a heat lamp out there for them and they love having more space, so we are all happy. 

I have really jumped into all of this (with a new baby in tow) and the biggest lesson I have learned so far this year is that I need a head net. The bugs are so awful and it really takes away from my enjoyment of digging in the dirt. 

No comments: