Monday, April 4, 2011

Kindergarten

I am so excited to do kindy over again. The younger grades are so fun when you compare them to the seriousness of the upper grammar level.

We have used an eclectic mix of Waldorf and Montessori in Sean's preschool, but now I'm moving into my tried and true; we'll begin a more classical program.

We are 30 lessons or so into Horizons K math program. I am hoping to stretch it out over the rest of this year and all of next by adding some of the Rightstart program that I have, along with the Kumon books.

We also use Kumon for basic skills. He especially loves cutting and the maze books.

We're currently on lesson 54 in Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading. We have been moving quickly up to this point, but I think we'll need to slow down a bit now. The consonant digraphs are trickier than the CVC and blending that we've done so far.

Since we are well into reading and math with our own programs, a complete curriculum package will not work for us, but I am going to use Memoria Press's Kindergarten Curriculum for copywork(handwriting and language lessons), memorization, Bible, poetry, art and music, and science and social studies.

This will be my first year officially teaching two, but I think that Sean's day will be short and James will be able to do a few subjects independently. It should go well.

No comments: