Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Satisfaction

I recently had a phone conversation with a friend of mine who is out of work and by default, a stay at home mom. Upon hanging up, I realized that not all moms are called to be, cut out to be, and/or want to be, home raising children. I've noticed the "Is summer vacation over yet? I can't wait for them to go back to school" comments are already popping up on Facebook.

I'm not being judgmental. I am just mulling this over "aloud". Personally, I enjoy being home. I love to make my home orderly and comfortable. I feel a deep satisfaction when I sit back in the evening and see that my work is done for the day: the dishes are clean, the house is tidy(mostly), and the boys are ready for bed. I love having our home run with a rhythm instead of a schedule, knowing that I can be flexible through the day and still get it all done(again-mostly). The only alarm I wake to is the grinning face of my earliest rising child(consistently Sean).

I love homeschooling. The relationship I have with my oldest son, the planning (lists, I love making lists), the excitement of starting preschool in the fall, the books I get to read and ideas that I was never exposed to in the course of my own education...I am really enjoying this ride.

It's my husband who makes this possible and for that I am deeply grateful. He works long hours at a job he little loves and he doesn't begrudge our trips to the beach, zoo, park, etc. while he sits at his desk. He's willing to cook dinner if I've had a hard day, and he's even been know to sweep in with an iced mocha from Starbucks, take a teething baby from my arms, and settle him to sleep for me.♥ Don't get me wrong, work is his domain and the housework/childcaring is mine, but he seems to know just when a little help is needed and that makes all the difference.

So, what's my point? I don't really have one- sorry to anyone who read this thinking I was going to go somewhere with my ramblings. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm content. Will I always want to stay at home? Doubt it. My kids are going to grow up and I think I'd like to go back to school someday, but for now, I'll happily take this uncomplicated life I lead and appreciate every minute of it.