Wednesday, September 9, 2009

New school year

After much soul searching this summer, we are sticking to a pretty classical homeschool method. We started back up this week and so far, so good. Sean is still clamoring to "do school too" so I have some games, crafts, and fine motor activities planned for when he is willing.









James is adding some logic puzzles to the line-up.









I am stepping up expectations this year for him, especially with writing. He would be moving to the middle school this year if he was at the local public school. We're beginning a second year of Latin and we just managed to break into the next year's math text with the help of a little work over the summer. He is still my bookworm. I assigned Gilgamesh the Hero by Geraldine McCaughrean for the week and he read it in a two hour sitting, then came out of his room and wrote a pretty excellent summary.












Today we started science. He complained about the narration I told him to do at the end of the section, and then commented that it wasn't so bad when he had finished. We are spending the year(or at least a good chunk of it) focusing on botany, after spending last year on animals and the human body. I'm getting a little sick of the life sciences and am looking forward to picking up some physical science next year. James seems content though, so that's where we're at. Botany is good for us right now because there are plenty of things I can do to involve Sean at his own level. It would be a heck of a lot easier if we didn't live in the middle of the city, but we'll manage.

No comments: