School has been very minimal this week. I am sure James has been delighted. It has almost been like a typical vacation week; math, reading, and not much else. Hopefully we will get back on track next week.
He is still plodding through Black Beauty. I should re-read it myself, it has been so long.
In math we have been working on equivalent fractions. I have a love/hate relationship with his math program, Horizons. I love the continuous review and he loves the colorful pages. I think the teacher's manual is a joke. I only use the answer key, and even that is only to speed things up. Anytime I have looked to the guide for help with presentation, it basically tells me to show him a couple of examples and hand him the workbook. There is no explanation of why something works, which I think is crucial. Granted we are only in the third grade book, but they integrate pre-algebra throughout the series and there have been a few times I would have liked a different perspective on teaching a concept. I might have to switch as we get to a higher level.
No comments:
Post a Comment